Trust is the foundation for respect, and vice versa. On a SuperTeam, trust is a core characteristic that gives people the freedom they need to share information, work collaboratively, and provide critical feedback to other team members.
Trust enhances efficiency and effectiveness by reducing the need to communicate; people who trust each other to get a job done do not need to check in with each other, check up on one another’s’ work, or fear that anyone is pursuing a personal agenda. There are five important ways to build trust:
1. Overcommunicate. The more people communicate, the more they are trusted for their transparency.
2. Give trust. When people feel trusted, they are more likely to return that trust.
3. Ask for feedback. Asking others for feedback is a way of showing trust in and respect for their opinions.
4. Disclose. People who share personal information and get to know their teammates enhance others’ trust in them.
5. Be someone who can be counted on. Trusted members on a team are willing to help others when they need it.